Cox & Yeman
COX & YEMAN
A brief history of one of the other great
London Billiard Companies, which for a time was one of the three
major Billiard firms.(read Thurston history and Burroughes &
The business was founded
by Mr. Henry Cox in 1848 and he was joined in partnership by Mr,
Edward Yeman in 1851. So the trading name from that point was the
Cox & Yeman name. Interestingly Mr. Yeman had served his time
with Burroughes & Watts as there is a record of him 'stuffing '
cushions (although rubber was being used the firms still referred
to 'stuffing' when fitting cushion rubber into the cushions). The
record also show that a Miss Yeman ( assumed to be his daughter)
was making 'holland covers' for the billiard tables for Burroughes
A further record in 1868 shows that the business was situated at
209a Brompton Road, London, SW and was exporting Billiard tables to
India 'and warmer climates' These tables had 'metallic adjustment
for levelling' Also made lamps, Gas fittings and seating for
When in 1870 the first billiard championship
match between Roberts & Cook took place the position of the Cox
& Yeman business as one of the big three was confirmed. As they
along with Burroughes & Watts and Thurston donated the
magnificent silver cup for presentation to the winner.
The cup was
recently (2008-2012) on display in Thurston showrooms in
The table for the match was made by Cox
& Yeman with the Cushions supplied by Burroughes
It was also in that
year that the business moved into larger premises in at 184
Brompton Road. A notice in the TIMES relating to the sale by
auction of 'the valuable lease of the premises in good repair,
containing nine rooms, two shops fitted with plate glass fronts,
sun blinds and Clark's steel shutters, large garden in the rear,
with entrance from Chapel Place (Times 28/02/1870 page 16).
Another report from the
TIMES , Saturday July 1st. 1876 on page 14 - - Partnership
dissolved between Mr. H. Cox and Mr. E. Yeman, Brompton Road
billiard table makers. However the business continued in the name
Cox & Yeman.
The 'World of
Billiards' which was 'The official Organ of the Billiard
Association of Great Britain & Ireland, India & The
Colonies' reported in their 8th October 1902 issue that - His
majesty the Shah of Persia, through his Excellency the Minister in
London, ordered two billiard tables from Messrs. Cox & Yeman,
billiard makers of 184 Brompton Road …. The report goes on to tell
that the tables were packed in cases and sent to Paris where they
joined the personal baggage overland to Persia.
Some time a go a
picture of very nice hand held Billiard Scorer circa 1890 made by
Cox & Yeman was sent into the Collection. This shows the
quality of the Company's workmanship.
1896 Cox &
Yeman Pyramid Rules (In the heritage Collection)
Again from an article
in 'World of Billiards' in 1904 Cox & Yeman are amongst the
firms represented at the 'International Gas Exhibition. They
exhibited a 'Simplex' Combined Billiard and Dining Tables. Which
was light by a prettily designed wrought iron and copper gaselier,
containing four inverted incandescent lights fixed by the 'Gas
Light and Coke Co.'.
Page from a 1907 catalogue showing the
'Simplex' Dining Table
Following the supply of two Billiard table to the Shah of Persia
the Company was, in October 1906, granted the Warrant of
appointment issued by the Shah of Persia for the supply of Billiard
We have in the collection a Cox &
Yeman catalogue from 1907 which has illustrations of factory scenes
as well great range of table designs. Some scans of which follow
The last picture on the right show H.
W. Stevenson (See Past Master No. 7) , who it is
believed worked for Cox & Yeman or was at least a sponsored
Some Billiard Table designs from the
A Billiard Room with tables supplied
by Cox & Yeman in Rangoon
A Life Pool / Billiard Cabinet
About this period all
the leading Billiard firms tried to introduce new shaped tables and
Cox & Yeman were no exception. Theirs was the 'Ovalex Table'
introduce in 1908- 'a dainty arrangement in curving an rectangular
cushions, shaped to form a convenient and attractive playing
Also in may of that
year it was reported that Cox & Yeman were opening a new Hall
in Liverpool, named Tivoli, with exhibitions between Vasquez, the
Spanish champion and his travelling colleague Johnson.
Toward the end of 1908
it was reported that the business had passed into the hands of the
receiver. It went on to say that it would not affect their
customers and that the business would carry on as usual from the
same address and competent staff.
However at the end of
that year (1908) a petition for winding up Cox & Yeman was
presented to the High Court of Justice by the Endolithic
Manufacturing Company. Due to be heard in January 1909. This
application was dismissed.
The London Gazette of
January 29th 1909 had the following entry -
In the matter of
Cox & Yeman Ltd. - At an Extraordinary General Meeting of the
above names Company, duly convened and held at 184 Brompton Road,
London, SW on 21st day of January the following Extraordinary
Resolution was passed, viz.:-That having been proved to the
satisfaction of the Company that the Company cannot by reason of
its liabilities continue in business and that it is advisable to
wind up the same.
It went on to give
notice of a meeting of the creditors in February 1909.
The business must have
carried on for the next couple of years as late in 1911 the
business was taken over by Burroughes & Watts. The
Billiard Monthly noted in January 1912 that the business of Cox
& Yeman purchases by Burroughes & watts Ltd. Has now been
removed to Soho Square.
In 2010 Peter Clare met
with the a Great Grandson of Edward Yeman who was researching his
family. He had hope that in the Collection there might have been a
picture of Edward Yeman. Sadly there was only the one catalogue
circa 1907 well after the partnership was dissolved. So if anyone
reading this comes across any pictures of Mr. Edward Yeman or Mr.
Henry Cox that they can let the Collection have a copy of it would
be appreciated and we could pass them on to his Grandson.
Acknowledgements - Mr.
P. Ainsworth for providing much of the information used.
Of the three
companies that presented the Billiard Championship Cup in 1870 only
THURSTON remains in business. Contact them for all your Snooker,
Pool or Billiard requirements.
phone +44 (0)870 607
© E.A. Clare & Son Ltd.
2018. © Peter N. Clare 2018
Reproduction of this article allowed only with the permission from
E.A. Clare & Son Ltd.
Go to Top of