A brief history of significant dates for the Company and some
other interesting dates concerning the developments in Billiards
1900- The report of the committee appointed to draft the rules
of Snooker was presented and finally passed on Tuesday 11th
December 1900 by the Billiards Association of Great Britain and
1901- Thurston's built and opened their famous Match Hall,
Showrooms and Offices in Leicester Square. Catherine Street
premises were demolished (Site of Aldwych).
1907- Thurston's granted the Royal Warrant of His Majesty King
Edward V 11.
1910- Thurston's introduced the improved "Thurstonic"
1911- Thurston's granted the Royal Warrant of His Majesty King
1912- Edward Arthur Clare established as a Billiards Table Maker
in Fraser Street, Liverpool.
1920- E.L. Fletcher & Son Ltd. established as manufactures of
wafers (used to stick tips on cues) and later cue tips as well, in
1923- Thurston's introduced the "Janus" reversible Cotton
1924- Thurston's introduced the Wonderful "Standfast" Billiards
1926- Composition Billiard Balls used for the first time in the
Amateur Billiards Championships.
1929- Following a decision taken by the Billiards Association
and Control Club in July of the previous year Composition Billiard
Balls used for the first time in the Professional Billiards
1937- The Original "Eralc" Non-Shadow Billiards Shade introduced
by E. A. Clare & Son, Liverpool.
1937- On April 14th the first Game of Snooker on Television
-Horace Lindrum v Willie Smith.
1937- On May 3rd the first game of Billiards on Television -Joe
Davis v Tom Newman.
1940- Thurston's famous Match Hall, Showrooms and Offices
destroyed during the London Air Raids. The Administration was
removed to the factory at Chelsea.
1940- Padmore's moved into temporary leased premises at 95
Colmore Row after their office and factory destroyed during an air
1946- Padmore's move in to new premises at 3 Coleshill St.,
1946/50- Peradon's acquired the cue businesses of Nidds of Kentish
Town, MacMorran of chalk Farm and Weildings of Acton.
1948- The "Eralc" Mark 11 Non-Shadow Billiards Shade introduced by
E. A, Clare & Son
1950's- Padmore's consolidated their offices and factory to 8/12
Cheshire street, Birmingham.
1962- E. A. Clare & Son introduced the first British Billiards
Table of Modem Design with patented "built-in' levelling device
called the "Jubilee Model'.
1963- Thurston's of London and Clare's of Liverpool become
associated under Chairmanship of Mr. Norman Clare.
1964- The Non-Shadow shade improved -renamed "Standfast Shade"
and marketed by Clare & Thurston,
1965- Thurston's factory and offices at Cheyne Walk, Chelsea
were redeveloped -the Company acquired and moved into l/lA Sharples
Hall Street, London NWl.
1966- Thos. Padmore & Sons of Birmingham become associated
to form the Clare - Padmore -Thurston Group under Chairmanship of
Mr Norman Clare.
1966- Peradon's Willesden site zoned for redevelopment and factory
moved out to Southway, Walworth Industrial Estate, Andover,
1970- Clare's factory and offices were zone for redevelopment -the
Company moved into new and larger premises at 46/48 St. Anne
Street, Liverpool 3.
1970- Padmore's factory and offices were zoned for redevelopment
-the business moved into new and larger premises at 180/182 Lozells
Road, Birmingham 19.
1972- E.L.Fletcher & Son Ltd business sold by Mrs. Ashmole
daughter of founder to Clare's.
1972- The Super Crystalate Billiards and Snooker Balls
1975- Fletcher factory & office transferred from Baldock to
99a Webster Road, Liverpool.
1977- E.L.Fletcher & Son Ltd. amalgamated with Peradon to form
Peradon & Fletcher with head office and cue factory in Andover
and branch office and tip making in Liverpool.
1979- Thurston's opened new Offices and Showrooms at 220 Camden
High Street, London NW1.
1982- Drakes Pride (Darlington's old trade mark which was
re-registered in E.A. Clare & Son's name in 1979) name used for
composition bowls produced by E.A. Clare & Son Ltd.
1983- Thurston's sold the Sharples Hall Street factory for
redevelopment and acquired a larger modern factory at 15/17
Brecknock Road, London N7.
1984- E.A. Clare & Son bowling green bowls division trading
as Drakes Pride
1985- Peradon & Fletcher celebrate 100 years of trading
1985 -Mr. N. Clare's book 'Billiard & Snooker Bygones'
published by Shire Publications
1986- Thurston's acquired the trading interests of Billard Van
Laere the oldest Billiard Table Maker in Belgium, trading in
Brussels and Europe as "THURSTON -V AN LAERE.
1987- J. Ashcroft's Billiard & Snooker trading interest
acquired by E.A. Clare & Son. (note: Mr E.A. Clare served his
apprenticeship at Ashcroft's)
1988 -Clare -Padmore -Thurston of the Clare Group amalgamate and
adopt the corporate trade name 'THURSTON' ,
1990- Mr. N. Clare ( 1914-1990) died, the museum he set up at the
Liverpool offices renamed 'The Norman Clare Museum'.
1991- Thurston's Birmingham office & showrooms, move to
'Padmore House', 273/275 Lichfield Road, Birmingham, B6 7QP
1992 -The London office and showrooms move to 110 High Street,
1994- Peradon & Fletcher relocated their factory and offices
to 128 Richmond Row, Liverpool.
1997- EAC&S Cue sports division trading as Peradon
1997- European Billiard Congress formed -THURSTON founder
1998- Thurston launched their website - thurston.co.uk and the
cue company Peradon's peradon.co.uk website also launched. Drakes
Pride website - drakespride.co.uk launched.
1999 -Thurston celebrates 200 years of service to the sports of
Billiards, Snooker & Pool.
© E.A. Clare & Son Ltd. 2009
All items displayed are from the N.
Reproduction of articles allowed
only with permission from E.A. Clare & Son Ltd.
Please do not hesitate to ask should you need any advice on
snooker, billiards or pool or wish to make a purchase.
Thurston has the most comprehensive
range of tables and accessories available.
Visit our e-shop - www.thurston.co.uk
Email - firstname.lastname@example.org
Phone - 0151 482 2700